Out of an abundance of caution regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), the McElroy Trust has announced the cancellation of this year’s World’s Greatest Spring Break for Kids scheduled for March 16-20 in Waterloo.
The decision by the Trust was made after consulting with its community partners, including the City of Waterloo, to err on the side of public health and safety. On average, the event draws 13,000 people of all ages to Waterloo from around the state.
It is important to note that while the World’s Greatest Spring Break event is being cancelled overall, some of the individual site locations may have plans to stay open for regular business during the week. Visitors are encouraged to call ahead or check websites to see about hours of operation.
World’s Greatest Spring Break for Kids
- Bluedorn Science Imaginarium
- Black Hawk Children’s Theatre
- Cedar Valley SportsPlex. Swimming only. Select morning times.
- Dan Gable Wrestling Museum.
- Hawkeye Community College STEM Lab. Free. Select times.
- John Deere Tractor & Engine Museum. Free.
- Phelps Youth Pavilion
- Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum and Grout Museum
- Volunteer Center of Cedar Valley. Free. Special events at select times.
- Waterloo Public Library. Free. Special events at select times.
- Young Arena Public skating. Select times.
- YWCA Swimming only. Select afternoon times.
- Additional Treat–Here’s What’s Poppin 206 E. 4th Street will offer $1 mini bags of popcorn during the week!
Tips to have the GREATEST Spring Break.
- Admission is $1 per kid at each attraction. Accompanying adults get in for $1. (Special rules apply in some locations.)
- All kids must be accompanied by an adult. Supervision is required in all venues.
- Plan ahead for special times and dates when $1 admission is available.
- If you plan to ice skate, bring a helmet and pads, too!
- It will be busy so come early in the day and early in the week (Monday – Tuesday are the least busy days).
- Parking is limited in some locations, so use the public parking downtown.